Got more questions? Find advice on: ASP | SQL | XML | Windows
in Search
Welcome to RegexAdvice Sign in | Join | Help

**PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING - Posting Guidelines**

Last post 08-31-2011, 9:15 PM by mash. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-31-2011, 9:15 PM 83783

**PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING - Posting Guidelines**

In order to expedite an answer to your question,  please provide as much of the following information as possible

1. What programming language/platform or application are you using?
    2. What is your ultimate task? What are you working on and what you want to use a Regular Expression for in your planned solution.
    3. Describe your Regular Expressions-related problem with the task and what you have attempted so far. Please be fairly descriptive.
    4. If possible and if it is not an extremely large block of text, please provide a representative example of the original text you are trying to process.Do not make up a sample.  Do not oversimplify complexity of your real data.  Also show what your desired result should look like. If you can not provide a sampling of your real data, describe it as thoroughly as you can.

Thank You

No An Example of a Poorly asked  Question:

I need regex to match only characters and numbers.

Why is this a poor question:

1. Vague question: characters are anything that can be used in a print format. Not only do they include numbers, but thousands of other things as well.
    2. No sample text was provided.  A sample of text you are working with may allow for your otherwise vague question's scope be determined. Plus it gives the regex writer something to verify/test an offered solution. And it may give your problem some needed context.
    3. The programming environment was not mentioned. Be Aware Regular Expression support is not uniform across all environments. What good does an offered solution do if it features an option not supported by your language or application?
    4. No high-level overview of the problem/task was given.  As great as regexes are they can't do everything.  Sometimes there are better, simpler solutions not involving regexes. Some problems can't be solved by regexes.

YesBetter question:

I need a regex that matches a string containing only the letters of the english alphabet, upper and lower case, and digits. I'm trying to _________.  I'm working with/in ___________.  For this input __________ these values should match ___, ____, ___, These values should not ___, ____, ___.
    Michael

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."
    Albert Einstein
View as RSS news feed in XML